Sunday, June 17, 2012

Double Life

I used to listen to quite a bit of country music. My favorite was Chris LeDoux. One of his songs was titled "Dallas Days and Forth Worth Nights". It speaks of a cowboy who spends his days working hard in the corporate life of Dallas while spending his nights honkey-tonking in Ft. Worth. I have thought about this song lately and think that it is a great description of my current life.

We are in the final stages of buying a new home. Planning a race in which I am directing. (see: www.bowcastatthebird.com and search the bowathalon) Keeping up with the normal stresses of work life all while raising a family. It is busy! It is loud! It is fast paced! All of the above amounts to heightened stress levels for me.

Contrast that stress with the relief that comes at 5:30 P.M. when I am usually starting out on a remote Wasatch trail. Most of the time I will see no more than 5 people. It is quiet. It is peaceful. It is inspiring.

I LOVE both lives that I am living right now. I would not trade my family, my job or any of the stresses that I have. I do realize that I am blessed with more than I feel that I deserve. I am simply stating that the contrast between the two is stark.

Training has been going well. I have had three weeks of feeling super strong followed by a humbling day yesterday. In all I would say that I am happy with the progress and excited about how much more I can improve. I will throw in here that Luke has gone full animal and I (emphasis on I) feel he could go under 28 hours if not faster. He is inspiring to watch.

This is a shot that I took Northeast of Big Mountain. That is the Great Salt Lake in the distance. This was a great day!


My friend Danny Webb and I ran into this young bull moose up Butler Fork last week. He would not move and we had to RUN by him at about 10 yards.


This is Luke and I with Desolation Lake in the background. This is on the Wasatch course.


Luke waiting at Lake Mary

Me at Lake Mary

In all I have covered about 50 miles of the course. I will soon do the other 50 and have more familiarity with the course. Next week Luke and I will be racing at the Wahasatch Steeplechase an 18 miler with roughly 4,000 feet of climb.

Coming soon. A review of a dietary supplement called Achiva. It contains chia seeds and dehydrated coconut water. 

No comments:

Post a Comment