Tuesday, July 10, 2012

MAJOR FUNK

     I must admit going into this whole adventure, I knew keeping up on our blog was going to be a challenge for me.  I am not sure if it is sheer laziness or if I fall under the cliche of "not enough time".  Either way, here is my latest situation.
     My training has been coming along great until recently.  I have successfully done several 20+ mile back to back weekends and was keeping up on my weekly climbing mileage.  I was feeling pretty dialed in.  As Mark updated, we did the Wahsatch Steeplechase a few weeks ago.  I had overestimated my goal time of 3 hours.  I ended up finishing in 3:29.  It was a good day but I must admit I did not love the course.  The climb and the crags were awesome but the downhill had more road miles than I had thought.  I have become such a trail snob that I hate running on roads now.
     What alarmed me most about that day was how tired I felt after and the hour plus of racing chest pains I was experiencing.  I kept up on my hydration given the 95 degree temps and my food intake was spot on.  I have had bad days on the trail and have felt tired and beat after long runs but something just did not feel right.  I struggled to recover during the following week and I was beginning to get a little worried.
     As anyone who knows me will attest,  I do not go to the doctor.  Overloads on Vitamin C, Zinc and the occasional super glue band aide fix at home is my norm.  I have been fortunate to know my body very well and can usually just tough out any ailment.  Something just did not feel right this time though.  April convinced me to go and get a quick check up to make sure everything was up to par.  I begrudgingly made the appointment and hind site was glad I did.  I had some routine blood work, EKG and echo cardiogram done.  My heart readings can back good, not great.  My heart has slightly enlarged due to the vast training and work I have put in.  Not too alarming, but I just need to keep an eye on it.  What really slapped me square in face though was my blood work results.  I was suffering from early signs of renal failure.  I had broken my muscles down so much from all the training that my kidneys were having a hard time clearing out all the crap in my body.  My kidneys were functioning at about 65% of normal!!!  Rest and tons of fluids were the only prescription.  Not really what I wanted or could afford to hear as my training schedule is reaching its peak.
     I have backed off the miles in the last few weeks.  Anton (one of my best friends and pacers for Wasatch 100) and I have still done several long, slow hikes to try and keep my legs strong.  I am feeling much better this week and I will have one last set of blood tests to make sure I am back to "normal".  I am itching to get back into the training routine.
     I have a 50K in Millcreek Canyon next weekend.  It should be a riot.  It is another "fun run" meaning just a bunch of people getting together for a run.  No timing chips or official results.  It starts at 9pm and will stretch through most of the night.  Great training for the long night during the Wasatch 100.  In addition, Mark and I have the Speedgoat 50K in two weeks.  It is considered the toughest 50K in America.  It is a race put on by local SLC resident and world class ultra runner Karl Meltzer.  13,000 feet of climbing and 13,000 feet of decent in Snowbird Ski Resort.  Definitely not for the faint of heart.  We will keep you posted on this crazy month of July. 

1 comment:

  1. Luke
    I talked with Mark at length yesterday and he told me of your kidney issues. That's a bummer to say the least. Injuries or illness in the middle of a heavy training regime are always hard to deal with. I will say this though; listen to your body and take care of yourself and you'll live to fight another day. Don't try to come back too fast or you may cause serious long term problems. I know I'm preaching to the choir, but you get my drift. I've been following you guys since you started this, and i'm keeping my fingers crossed for you. Hang in there. /Jim. RunWVMountains

    ReplyDelete