Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Running South of the Border

Due to distance of my latest run this report is almost unnecessary. I report only because it is something that was out of my normal scope of practice. Plus ALL runs are cool.

This last week I had the chance to go to Cancun, Mexico for a little rest and relaxation. I am not much for world traveling but the thought of sun and sand sounded nice. A suit for a dinner that I had to attend, couple pairs of shorts, a swimsuit, flip flops and my running gear and I was set!

I had grand plans. Wake up early, run down to the ruins, run from Telum to the beach, down the beach and finish off with a nice dip in the warm Caribbean water. At least that was the plan. As we pulled into town, Federalis lined the road armed with machine guns. Not the most comforting spectacle! There were several people that suggested/warned us that we not go out alone.Reports of violence coupled with those warnings caused those grand plans to go away and the back up plan to be put in place. Insert frowny face emoticon here. :(

So I did the best I could with what I had. I ran all over the resort that we were staying at. Up and down a hall, a few stairs, out onto a "jungle path" down to the "beach" back down the main entrance road and back. In all, it was about two miles. What a rip off?!?





The Jungle path.

As in all runs, even the two mile variety, I was able to experience some cool things. Seeing Iguanas is not something you get to see on the trails of the Wasatch. The beach is always nice too. Sarah (my wife) and I ran great together and the humidity made me feel as though I had run much farther.



Sarah stops for a mid run pic.

I am happy to report that I am back in the States and excited to be chased by bears and cougars rather than Federalis and drug dealers.

On a side note, thank you to those readers of this blog and your comments on and off forum. It is great to know that there are people out there who share in our interest and love of running and our pursuit of ultra running. I imagine that while I am at mile 67 or 81 or 99 and feel tired and ready to throw in the towel that I will recall on your love and support and pull through.

Happy trails.

No comments:

Post a Comment