Sunday, March 4, 2012

WEEKEND IN THE SNOW!!!!!!!!

     We received two good storms this week, dumping about 3-4 feet of snow in the mountains.  Seems there were only two options...........stay home and sulk in my sorrow that spring has been put on hold or get my butt out and enjoy natures playground.
      Saturday, Mark and I dove into an epic day of snowshoeing.  We hit the Mill D trail head in Big Cottonwood canyon at 11am.  Our destination was Lake Blanche.  I have always loved this trail because it is where I proposed to April.  We slogged our way up the trail for about a mile and a half.  At that point everyone else that had ventured up had turned around.  We came across a couple still upward bound, Brian from New York and his co worker Jen from Salt Lake City.  We continued on with them, each taking turns breaking new snow for the others to follow.  Absolutely mind boggling the workout you get trail busting through 4 feet of virgin powder.  Even with snowshoes on, we would sink in a good 2 feet each step.  We stopped at Lake Blanche for a quick breather and then headed back down.  All said and done; 4 hours, 3300 feet elevation gain, 6 miles and amazing memories.

    
Mark and I at Lake Blanche


Mark AKA Bulldog putting in some hard work


Winter solitude

     Sunday, I did a Mount Olympus saddle hike.  Mount Oly is my favorite hike/run and I consider it my "home mountain".  It is 3 miles up to the saddle with 3,700 feet of elevation gain.  I thought the south facing mountain would have lost most of its snow by today.  I was sorely mistaken.  The first mile and a half were wet and muddy, but from there on out it was snow packed.  


The trail going up


3 feet post holes

     I came across this cool memorial photo someone had left this weekend.  It was especially moving to me because I have told April that when my days are done, I want a little something of me left on Oly.



     It was a slow hike up to the top, but the bluebird day and breathtaking views made it all worth it.  I am so lucky to have this playground as my backyard.


View looking into Big Cottonwood canyon


View of Salt Lake Valley


Mount Olympus saddle


3 comments:

  1. Lake Blanche was beautiful- thanks for breaking the trail for us! My legs were pretty spent after saturday, but that didn't stop me from skiing sunday! Can't miss a bluebird day like that. Best of luck on your training.

    ReplyDelete
  2. No doubt. Hell of a workout. Great meeting up with you guys. Thanks for checking out the blog. Be sure and follow through out the year. Bound to be some great adventures.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sweet blog Luke! Lake Blanche is a hard enough hike for me in the summer, let alone through snow. Way to go cuz. Good luck with all your trainging. Your nuts...in a good way.

    ReplyDelete