Wednesday, July 29, 2015

2015 Speedgoat 50K

This last weekend at the Speedgoat 50K was  euphoric! It marked the first attempt at an ultra for my wife Sarah and the day that all three of my kids officially became members of the ultra community. Other highlights were my 5 nephews along with our good friend Rodney Sager toeing the starting line.

We woke up at 4:00 AM got the last few things together and made the short drive up Little Cottonwood Canyon. I love living at the mouth of Big and Little Cottonwood Canyons. The accessibility is second to none. As we drove I could tell that Sarah was excited and nervous. She was struggling to wrap her head around what was about to go down. 

We entered Entry 1 at Snowbird ski resort. Welcome to SUFFERFEST! We went through check in, affixed Sarah's bib and began the hour wait until the start. We stood in the midst of ultra rock stars and legends. Sage Canady, two time defending Speedgoat champ, Jenn Shelton, George Grygar, Roch Horton, Jared Campbell and the Speedgoat himself, Karl Meltzer. My nephews or as we have started calling them, "The Nephews" rolled in and got checked in as well. A few pictures and a countdown later and the race was underway. 

Riley had left a few moments earlier with Mike Place and crew to begin aiding at the the Mineral Basin aid station. Runners will pass through that aid station twice. I knew that Riley would do well there and was excited to see how she liked it. 

Cam, Coop and I took the tram to Hidden Peak. This was our first crew spot. We had our work cut out for us as we would effectively be crewing 7 runners. It was chilly but comfortable on the peak. Before long the runners began to stream into the AS lead by Sage Canady who ran strong the entire way. It was a sight to behold. 

Justin, Rodney, John John, Brad, Michael and Jason all came through in that order. Each made good stops and wasted little time getting back on the course and on to Mineral 1. As time passed Camden got antsy. He wanted to see his Mom and make sure she was good. He asked me if he could pace her to Mineral. I thought it a good idea and may be a lift for her. She made her way in and looked great. She had a small cramp in her hammy but a quick fix of Deep Blue had her feeling good. Cam and her took off and looked strong as they descended. 

Coop and I packed up the crew pack and made our way down to the Tunnel AS. That was our next crew spot and a critical part of the race as this is where the runners had to be prior to 3:20 PM in order to make the time cut. 

Situated above the tunnel was a ridge where we could sit and view a large portion of the course. Coop and I set up camp, broke out the binoculars and watched the carnage from afar. Not long after we arrived did Sage come barreling through. He was 25 minutes in front of second place and within 30 seconds of the course record.

The other runners were spread out and we cheered on each one of them. By this time Camden had joined Riley in Mineral and picked up Duties as an AS volunteer. The nephews came by in order. All were happy to have the Baldy climb in the rear view but it had rendered them nearly speechless. My nephew Jason would have to drop at Mineral due to some issues with his knee.

Time was running out and there was still no sign of Sarah. I kept glassing the single track trail that appeared out of the trees. This trail connected Pacific Mine to Mineral 2. Soon I saw the familiar gait  of my wife. I yelled "run Sarah!!" hoping that the echoes would carry my cheer to her. I knew the chances that she heard me were low. I tried calling her phone with no luck. I tried again and then again. Finally she answered. I told her that she was cutting it close and would need to run as hard as she could in order to make cut-off. She pushed! I called Camden and said "mom is close. Go get her! Push her! She HAS to make cut-off!" I watched through my binoculars as Cam ran out of the AS. I watched as Sarah dug deep. I watched the gap from Cam to Sarah close. I watched him reach her, pat her on the back and I watched both of them run their way to Mineral 2. Sarah cut it close but ultimately passed through the AS.

From here on out, Sarah was in a fight. The Mountain was not an easy opponent and she knew it. She called me. She was crying. Crying in a way that I have never heard from her before. It was deep emotion. This race and the climb she was engaged in had stripped her of any walls. Knowing that time had run out on her, I agreed to meet her on the trail and accompany her to the tunnel aid station. She gave all that she had! I was proud and impressed with her quality of effort.

Once at the tunnel, a dutiful attendant asked Sarah for her bib. It felt cold. I get it but it felt cold. We took the lift to the start/finish to cheer on some friends and the remainder of the nephews.

I knew Sarah was bummed but I also sensed a bit of pride for digging deep and giving her all. Perhaps I felt my own pride for her. She did all that she could and gave all that she had. I couldn't have been more proud. 

The finish line is always a good time. Over time I have made some great friends in this sport. I watched many of them finish. I chatted with others. The Speedgoat  brings out the best in people.

Throughout the day Cooper had been inspired by the Thatcher boys. They were 17 and 14 respectively. They are the sons of Bryce Thatcher founder/owner of Ultraspire. As the day went on Cooper was more inspired. He asked several times if I thought he was capable to run this race next year. I do think he is! I will support him in every way that I can.

The day finally wound down and we piled in the Prius and made our way home. The car ride was spent with each of us sharing our stories from the day. Riley and Camden had a great time volunteering and have already committed to do it again next year. My guess is Sarah will be back. I'll crew. Coop? He'll be running!

No comments:

Post a Comment