Sunday, July 12, 2015

The Battle at Bighorn 2015 - Mark

The BigHorn had stumped me twice! During both of my previous attempts I didn't feel bad but rather slow. Before I could make it to the Dry Fork aid station, situated at mile 34.5, time had run out and I had missed the cut-off. The long drive down the hill back to the park in Dayton, WY was painful and discouraging. Time, money and training all wasted! 

This year Bighorn weekend fell on Father's Day. I was hesitant to sign up but in the end I had to get the Bighorn monkey of my back. This was such a runnable, finishable race. I just had not quite got it figured out. The plan was to take the entire family. Enjoy Sheridan and Dayton, WY and maybe even visit Martin's Cove. As the race got closer, Sarah and I decided to try and save some money by sending me without the family. 

My friend QB was running the 100 and was taking his daughter Kara to pace him. Our other friend Jeff was pacing his good friend Craig Stahl in the 100. With all of those people headed to the same location we decided to all carpool and share rooms. This greatly cut cost and put my mind at ease a bit more than it had been.

We left the Wednesday night prior to the race and traveled to Riverton, WY where we stayed in a cheap Motel 6 straight out of the 70s. Thursday we made our way into Sheridan. The drive was not as bad as I remember and I was able to get some good sleep while we drove. I took a neck pillow that was a life saver. I likely will never leave that home for a road trip again.

Once in Sheridan, we did the 100 mile packet pick-up and drop bag prep and delivery. We shopped and ate and enjoyed some tunes and refreshment at the Mint Bar. Main Street Sheridan is one of my favorite places. That night they had a street fair complete with food trucks and live music. I ate and listened. It was my kind of night. 

Friday was all about getting the 100 milers on the course and all of my final preparations made. We traveled to Dayton and ultimately to Tongue River Road where the 100 started. We watched and cheered them on their way. As soon as they left I felt like it was now my time to focus on my race and get this done. Kara and Jeff and I went to eat lunch at a TGI Fridays type restaurant. I ordered a steak and sweet potato fries. It could not have been a better meal! The steak was great but the sweet potato fries were heavenly!! They had dusted them with powdered sugar and included a cinnamon honey butter dipping cup. Kara and I both declared this as the only time to simply eat butter.

I prepped and delivered my drop bags and went to be early. Kara and Jeff left to go attend to their pacing duties. I had the hotel room to myself and really got a pretty good nights sleep. 

I woke up at 3:00 AM and got ready. I took my time maybe a bit too much. I ended up having to rush to catch the 4:00 AM bus in Dayton. I got on the bus as the doors closed and took the long bus ride up to the Jaws trailhead and the start of the race. At the start line I took a bathroom break, huddled by the fire and chatted with a few new friends. 

We sang the national anthem, had a race countdown until the siren sounded and the race was underway. I took my place in the single track conga line and ran well across the upper flats of the course. I had made a race plan for this years race. I felt like I could make up some time in the first 18 miles. My goal rather than to ease in would be to start fast and try and hang on. I wanted to be into Foot Bridge by 10:00 AM with a stretch goal of 9:30 AM. Once the conga broke up I took my chance and went for it. I in and outed the first two aid stations. I felt strong and that strength caused me to push harder. At the third aid station I topped of with water and ate a bit of food. I was slow leaving the station but quickly remembered the goal and began to push again. I entered Foot Bridge AS, mile 18, at 9:40 AM or 3:40 elapsed time.

I had a good stop at FB and loaded up with a bag of fruit and started my climb up the dreaded "Wall". I ate as I went. It felt good to refuel! Once the fruit was gone I was able to settle into a steady pace up and over the mountain. My race strategy for the wall was to simply manage the climb. I did just that. As I was about 3/4 through the 3 mile climb, I ran into QB and Kara who were 70ish miles into QB's 100 attempt. It was a joyous exchange but QB kept me on task and told me to go get my finish. The mud at the top of the wall was the worst it has been in all three years of me running in this race. I navigated through and hit the Elk Camp AS. 

This AS has a natural spring and some of the best drinking water on the planet. I sat on a log and drank 4 full cups of water while the AS attendants filled my pack. I walked out of Elk Camp ahead of pace and feeling relatively good. After a short walk I decided to try a light jog. The jog felt good enough that I decided to push the pace again. There was a lady running strong in a pink hat. I said to myself, "stick with pink hat". I settled in about 20 yards behind her and kept step for step all of the way to Cow Camp. Time was looking good! The next AS was Dry Fork where the cut-off had taken me both years prior. 

After a brief stop at the Cow Camp AS, in which I drank a full can of Pepsi, I was on my way to beat the cut. The more that I realized that I was going to make it the more energy I had. I passed a bunch of people and climbed hard to the AS. Knowing that I was going to make it my mind drifted to my wife. For some reason I began to convince myself that she would be at the AS. I got lost in thought of our reunion. It made me quite emotional. I soon realized that this would not be the case but being lost in that thought helped me in a variety of ways. Finally, at the top of the climb, I was into Dry Fork! This had been an AS that I had missed by 10 combined minutes over the last two years. Now I was in an hour early. I quickly changed shoes, drank another Pepsi, ate a hot soup during the heat of the day, grabbed a bag of fruit and left Dry Fork! 

I ate and climbed relieved that I had a least made it passed my nemesis. Once I crested the short climb. I started in on the downhill. I felt strong and passed a few more people. I jumped off the road and into the single track. It was beautiful! Then in mid stride I cramped! I cramped hard!! I immediately began a straight leg walk. I quickly pounded several salt tabs and drank a lot of water. I was able to get the cramping down enough to ease back in to a light jog. I entered the lower sheep creek AS, ate a banana, applied some deep blue to my tired muscles and left feeling much better.

The next section offered a VERY stout climb. It was relatively short but very steep. I felt good going up but once I summited the hill I kind of just wanted to be done. Even though the next 5 mile section was downhill it was difficult for me. The trail was narrow and paralleled a barb wire fence. My quads were on fire! Out of the necessity of gravity I lightly ran down the hill. I entered the AS at the bottom of the hill and was told that there was two miles to the final AS and only 5 miles to the finish. 

After each AS I felt rejuvenated and was able to run pretty well. This last stop, coupled with the strong desire to get to the finish, kept me moving well. I in and outed the last AS and moved down the long dirt road into Dayton. As I ran, Jeff can bopping down the road to run me in. We ran/walked for the next  3 miles. I asked Jeff to run into the park to film the finish so I could share it with my family. 

I ran around the corner and into the park and had the joy of an ultra finish rush over me. I was so pumped to get this done. I crossed the line in 13:52. I shared hugs with Jeff, Ann English, Missy Berkel and Craig Stahl. Later QB and Kara would join in on the celebration. QB was cut for time at Dry Fork. If there is anybody that knows about that cut it is I. 

I ate a burger and a dog at the park and slowly made my way to the car. I didn't sleep well that night but felt great on the ride home. I was overjoyed to pull in the driveway and see that my daughter Riley had affixed, to the house,  a banner that said "Happy Father's Day Bighorn Finisher!" 

No comments:

Post a Comment